Division One Round Three Round Up

By Odhrán Crumley


Mayo easily disposed of Connacht rivals Roscommon racking up 1-19 (with 12 different scorers) on their way to their second league victory of 2017. The Rossies started brightly racing into an early three points to one lead. Last years All Ireland finalists rallied kicking eight scores without reply to lead by six with ten minutes to the break. The visitors would spurn to great goal chances with David Clarke saving Enda Smyth and Sean Mullooly. Mayo went into the break with a six point advantage.

The game was virtually over with only four minutes of the second half gone when Evan Regan was followed in the big square, the ever reliable Cillian O’Connor duly obliged converting to give his side a ten point lead. Further points from Regan, O’Connor and Keegan ensured Mayo took home the two points.

MAYO SCORERS; C O’Connor (1-04), F Boland, L Keegan, B Harrison, C Loftus (0-02) each, D Vaughan, J Gibbons, D O’Connor, C O’Shea, A Moran, E Regan, (0-01) each.

ROSCOMMON SCORERS; D Smith, C Devaney (0-03) each, C Murtagh, E Smith (0-02) each, S Killoran, F Cregg, T Corcoran, N Kilroy (0-01) each.


Monaghan kept their unbeaten league campaign in tact inflicting a second home defeat on Kerry in the process. Goals in either half from Jack McCarron and Gavin Doogan put the Farney Army well on their way to victory, collecting five from a possible six after three games.

David Moran got the Kerry goal early in the game after fine work from Morley on the counter attack. Points from O’Donoghue and Geaney where matched by McManus and Hughes as the latter kicked the winner in the dying embers of the game. Substitute Bryan Sheehan was dismissed seconds after entering the fray after an incident with Kieran Hughes, it was the Ulstermen who would repeat last year’s heroics to grab another famous win.

KERRY SCORERS; P Geaney, J O’Donoghue (0-03) each, D Moran (1-00),  B Kealey, T Morley, P Murphy, BJ Keane (0-01) each.

MONAGHAN SCORERS;  J McCarron (1-03), G Doogan (1-00), K Hughes, C McManus (0-02) each, R Beggan (0-01).


A late Michael Murphy point in a performance that rolled back the years earned a young Donegal side a draw at a rain soaked Ballybofey. A late pitch inspection deemed the Donegal surface playable, however conditions were far from perfect.

The reigning champions were in control for the majority of the first half leading 0-05 to 0-02 with the break approaching before Donegal hit two goals in forty seconds to lead at the break. Jason McGee got the first goal hitting the net at the second attempt after Stephen Cluxton saved his first effort. Thirty five seconds later Cluxton was beaten for the second time as Ryan McHugh slotted low into the net.

Donegal went in at the break leading 2-2 to 0-5. Dean Rock nailed two frees before Niall Scully finished into the net after a fine Dublin move. David Bryne put Dublin into the lead with a fine score before a Michael Murphy free at the death gave his side a share of the spoils.

DONEGAL SCORERS; J McGee (1-01), R McHugh (1-00), C Thompson, M Murphy (0-02) each.

DUBLIN SCORERS; N Scully (1-01), D Rock (0-03), S Carthy, C McHugh, C Kilkenny, D Bryne (0-01) each.


Photo courtesy of TeamTalkmag.com.

Tyrone Vs Cavan fell victim to the actions of Storm Doris as the Healy Park pitch let the county down once again. Meath referee David Gough deemed the pitch unplayable an hour before throw in, after an on-off fiasco ensued.

Allianz FL1PWDLDifPts