From Odhrán Crumley at Healy Park




A dominant second half performance was enough to ensure Tyrone took both points and returned to the top of the Division One table, with a seven point win over Cavan at Healy Park this afternoon.  

It was the Cavan men who started brightest with Gearoid McKiernan firing over from a long range free. Dara McVeety doubled the advantage shooting accurately from range. Sean Cavanagh opened his sides account on the eleventh minute from a close range free after Mattie Donnelly was fouled.

Two minutes later Cavanagh nailed another close range free to draw the side’s level. Padraig McNulty edged his side in front for the first time in the game bursting through a packed defence to shoot over from close range. McKiernan levelled the sides once again from a  free, with fifteen on the clock.

Martin Reilly restored Cavan’s lead minutes later showing a vast array of skills to split the posts from range, using the outside of his right boot. A Peter Harte free put the sides on level terms for the third time in the game.

McKiernan and Harte traded scores before Martin Reilly kicked another sublime score from range using the wind to his advantage. A fine individual effort from Colm Cavanagh who shot over from the tightest of angles on the left levelling the sides again.

Reilly and Harte traded scores before McKiernan edged the Breffni men ahead with thirty one minutes on the clock. The Tyrone defence failed to deal with a high diagonal ball from Tomas Corr, this allowed McKiernan to latch onto Madden’s flick to punch the ball over the head of the onrushing Niall Morgan into the Tyrone goal. McKiernan’s goal gave his side a four point lead at the break on a  -score line of 0-7 to 1-8.

In truth it would be one way traffic in the second half with Tyrone number eleven Kieran McGeary getting the opening score of the half. Conor Madden got what would prove to be Cavan’s final score of the game in the forty third minute restoring his sides four point advantage.

The home side would make full advantage of a sizeable wind advantage shooting into the town end goals. Mattie Donnelly kicked his first score of the game before Mickey Harte sprung the lively Mark Bradley from the bench.

The Killyclogher man made an immediate impact shooting over from range on his first touch injecting a real energy into the Tyrone team. Tyrone lost Ronan McNamee to a black card ten minutes after he was introduced for a third man tackle on Cian Mackey.

Mark Bradley got his second, moments later shooting once again from long range drawing his side level for the fifth time. Bradley was on target again seconds later raising a flag from range to edge Tyrone in front for the first time since the fifteenth minute.

Harte doubled the lead from a free before referee David Gough flashed a second black card this time to Darren McCurry. McCann showed composure to point before Niall Morgan saw his long range free sail over the black spot from fifty yards. Bradley got his fourth before substitute Ronan O’Neill found his range twice in quick succession.

Four minutes of injury time saw Tyrone keep possession in the middle third for long periods before Meath referee David Gough brought proceedings to an end. Tyrone winning on a score line of 0-19 to 1-9.

Tyrone: N Morgan (0-01, f); P Hampsey, J McMahon, C McCarron; T McCann (0-01), R Brennan, A McCrory; C Cavanagh (0-01), P McNulty (0-01); C Meyler, K McGeary (0-01), P Harte (0-04, 4f); D McCurry (0-01), S Cavanagh (0-03, 3f), M Donnelly (0-01)

Subs: R McNamee for Brennan (h-t), M Bradley (0-03) for McNulty (44), J Munroe for McNamee (BC 45), F Burns for McMahon (50), R O’Neill (0-02) for McCurry (BC 52)

Cavan: R Galligan; R Dunne, K Brady, J McLoughlin; C Brady, C Moynagh, M Reilly (0-03); T Corr, G McKiernan (1-04, 0-2f); G Smith, D McVeety (0-01), N Clerkin; N Murray, C Madden (0-01), P O’Connor

Subs: C Mackey for Clerkin (h-t), S Murray for N Murray (h-t), F Reilly for McLoughlin (49), G McCutcheon for Clerkin (55)

Referee: David Gough (Meath)