CAVAN 0-15


Monaghan shaded their ‘nearest and dearest’ rivals in a thriller at Breffni Park, too book a place in the last four of the Ulster Championship.

The influential Conor McManus and Paul Finlay landed three frees each in the first half, with Niall McDermott on target four times giving his side a 0-9 – 0-7 lead at the break.

McDermott was on target once again early in the second half to give the Breffni men a three point advantage. With forty seven minutes on the clock Michael Argue got his second of the day showing a vast array of skills shooting on the turn extending the Cavan lead to four.

Malachy O’Rourke went to his bench in order to turn halt slide and turn the momentum in his sides favour. Dick Clerkin was deployed at midfield alongside the young Kieran Hughes.

O’Rourke’s shrewdness on the line would see Terry Hyland’s team not register a score for eighteen minutes. The Farney men pushed on from here scores from McManus, Clerkin and Mone gave Monaghan the lead.

Cavan substitute Martin Dunne levelled proceeding with four minutes left to play. McManus and Walshe would hold their nerve scoring to give their side a two point lead in injury time.

Dunne was on target once again keeping the ‘Breffni Blues’ in the game.  The home side had chances to force a replay only for goalkeeper Raymond Galligan to send to late long range frees wide of the target.

Armagh referee Padraig Hughes would sound his whistle to bring the game to an end ensuring Monaghan would defeat their local rivals by the narrowest of margins.

Cavan: R Galligan (0-01, f), J McLoughlin, R Dunne, D O’Reilly, J McEnroe, F Flanagan (0-01), D McVeety, T Corr, C McKiernan (0-02), R Flanagan, N Murray, M Reilly, C Mackey (0-02, 1f), M Argue (0-02), N McDermott (0-04, 4f).

Subs: C Brady (0-01) for McEnroe, M Dunne (0-02, 1f) for O’Reilly, M Lyng for Reilly (BC), T Hayes for Mackey

Monaghan: R Beggan, D Mone (0-01), D Wylie, R Wylie, F Kelly, V Corey, K O’Connell (0-01), N McAdam, S Carey, R McAnespie, P Finlay (0-3, 3f), D Hughes (0-01), D Malone, K Hughes (0-01, f), C McManus (0-07, 5f).

Subs: S Gollogly for Malone (BC), C Walshe (0-01) for Carey, D Clerkin (0-01) for Finlay, C McGuinness for McAnespie

Referee: P Hughes (Armagh).