Antrim survived a late Derry resurgence to claim the Ulster Minor Hurling Final today in Owenbeg.

It was the Derry men who opened the scoring Kevin Lynch’s Richie Mullan nailing a long range free. Antrim would reply from the very next play, semi-final star Seann Elliot pointing.

Conor Boyd and Tiarnan McHugh traded scores ensuring the sides were level after a tentative opening ten minutes. Disaster would strike for the Oakleafers on fourteen minutes after a mistake from the Derry keeper, Tiarnan Murphy pounced to strike the ball into the net after a scramble.

Seann Elliot would stretch the lead to four on nineteen minutes pointing from a placed ball. Peadar McLaughlin got his side back on track getting their first score in fourteen minutes after a strong run. Tiarnan Murphy followed this with a fine score after a period of fine hurling.

Derry captain Tim Rankin brought the deficit back to three on the twenty six minutes taking control after a high ball from Tiarnan McHugh caused havoc in the Antrim area. The Na Magha representative opting to fire over. Two minutes before the break the Saffrons would have the ball in the Derry net for the second time Ed McQuillan shooting past Derry keeper Sean Kelly.

The reigning champions went in at the break leading by six on a score line of 2-4 to 0-4.

It would be Antrim who would reassert their dominance early in the second half Deaghlan Smith finding his range. Richie Mullan would nail another dead ball before, Ed McQuillan and Conor McHugh extended the lead.

Man of the match Tiarnan Murphy would hit the next three points of the game in an impressive display of shooting. Declan Quinn replied for Derry from a difficult angle putting ten between the sides.

Murphy would score again before Down referee would award Derry a penalty after Scott Walsh fouled Tiarnan McHugh. Richie Mullan was on hand to put the penalty low into the bottom right corner past Paul McMullan in the Antrim goal.

Deaghlan Smith would get the next two for the men in yellow, settling his side. Before Ruairi Rafferty would rattle the net for the Foylesiders putting seven between the sides with nine left to play.

Club mates Tiarnan McHugh and Richie Mullan would point to cut the lead to five with fifty seven played. Ed McQuillan would settle the contest and the destination of the cup in the fifty eighth minute shooting across the goal into the net after a mazy run, grabbing his second of the game.

The sound of referee Colin Murray’s whistle would bring the game to an end soon after confirming Antrim as Ulster Champions once again on a score line of 3-13 to 2-8.


Derry: Sean Kelly, Caolite McAlinden, Tiarnan Walsh, Ruairi Rafferty, Michael McEldowney, Richie Mullan, Fearghal Cassidy, Martin Quinn, Tim Rankin, Fintan Bradley, Eoghan O’Kane, Peadar McLaughlin, Declan Quinn, Tiarnan McHugh, Reece McSorley.

Derry Scorers: Richie Mullan 1-3, Ruairi Rafferty 1-0, Tiarnan McHugh 0-2, Tim Rankin, Declan Quinn and Peadar McLaughlin 0-1 each.

Antrim: Paul McMullan, Manus Smith, Scott Walsh, Phelim Lennon, Fred McCurry, Conor Boyd, Ryan McGarry, Michael McGreevy, Conor McHugh, Ed McQuillan, Callum Scullion, Deaghlan Smith, Tiarnan Murphy, Anton McGrath, Séaan Elliot.

Subs Used: Ronan Molloy, Shane Magill, Connor McBride, Dubaltach Magee-Baker, Mark McCavanagh

Antrim Scorers: Tiarnan Murphy 1-5, Ed McQuillan 2-1, Deaghlan Smith 0-3, Séaan Elliot 0-2, Conor Boyd and Conor McHugh 0-1 each.