Ulster Finish Strongest To Topple Connacht

Railway Cup Final                                                                                                                                                                     

Ulster 2-16                                                                                                                                                                           Connacht 3-10 

The victorious Ulster team

Another Peter Harte inspired performance saw Ulster claim the Railway Cup for the 32nd time seeing off a strong Connacht side in Carrick-on-Shannon today.

It was Connacht who started the brighter racing into a 2-3 to 0-3 lead thanks to goals from Roscommon’s Ciaran Murtagh.

However Ulster showed strong resolve to stay in the game and their determination was rewarded when Fermanagh defender Aidan Breen on eighteen minutes. The Northerners were back to within a point five minutes before half time as other Erne forward Tomas Corrigan split the posts.

But Connacht got their third goal on the stroke of half time as Galway’s Daniel Cromer netted giving the Westerners a 3-6 to 1-10 lead at the break.

It was Ulster who would emerge the better side after the break overcoming a black card to substitute Chrissy McKaigue shortly after his introduction.

But it was Charlie Vernon who would get the crucial goal in the 39th minute while Harte, Corrigan and Breen hit quick fire points to seal the victory for the Ulstermen, on a scoreline of 2-16 to 3-10.

Ulster: N Morgan (Tyrone); M Jones (Fermanagh), K Clare (Cavan), D O’Hagan (Down); T McCann (Tyrone), C Moynagh (Cavan), A Breen (Fermanagh) (1-02); E Donnelly (Fermanagh), C Vernon (Armagh) (1-01); K Niblock (Antrim), P Harte (Tyrone) (0-05, 0-04f), E Lynn (Derry) (0-03); N Sludden (Tyrone), S Campbell (Armagh) (0-01), T Corrigan (Fermanagh) (0-04, 0-2f).

Subs used: R Johnston (Down) for Niblock (28 mins), C McKaigue (Derry) for Moynagh (30 mins), B Rogers (Derry) for McKaigue (33 mins, black), D McCusker (Fermanagh) for Clarke (38 mins), M Donnelly (Tyrone) for Campbell (44 mins), T Kernan (Armagh) for Vernon (55 mins).

Connacht: D Clarke (Mayo); K McDonnell (Sligo), J Duane (Galway), D Wynne (Galway); N Daly (Roscommon), G O’Donnell (Galway), J Heaney (Galway); E Smith (Roscommon) (0-01), K Higgins (Roscommon); F Cregg (Roscommon), D Cummins (Galway) (0-01), C Murtagh (2-03, 0-01f); N Murphy (Sligo), D Comer (Galway) (1-01), J Doherty (Mayo) (0-02, 0-02f).

Subs used: P Conroy (Galway) (0-01, 0-01f) for Cummins (12 mins), D Wrynn (Leitrim) for Higgins (44 mins), G Bradshaw for Doherty (49 mins), E Mulligan (Leitrim) (0-01, 0-01f) for Conroy (52 mins), J McManus (Roscommon) for McDonnell (53 mins), D Murtagh (Roscommon) for Murphy (57 mins), C O’Shea for Smith (59 mins).

Referee: Padraig O’Sullivan (Kerry).